2013 Draft Digest Vol. 8
Tuesday (Monday this week...oops) between now and the NFL Draft, we’ll take a look around the Internet at what some of the experts are saying about the Packers’ first round prospects. Here’s what they’re saying this week.
WalterFootball.com (two mock drafts)
- Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame
- Analysis: Jermichael Finley will be back in Green Bay next season, but I don't think that's going to preclude Ted Thompson from drafting Tyler Eifert at No. 26 overall. Thompson knows that he's unlikely to retain Finley after the 2013 campaign. Plus, Aaron Rodgers needs another reliable target after losing Greg Jennings to the Vikings. Having two tight ends on the field could help.
- Menelik Watson - OT - Florida State (predicted by Charlie Campbell)
- Analysis: The Packers have to improve their offensive line. Watson could move inside to guard if Derek Sherrod and Bryan Bulaga lock down the tackle positions. Scouts have told WalterFootball.com that Watson is a really smart kid and good on the chalk board. Considering he is from the United Kingdom, he wowed teams at the Combine. Watson is a tremendous athlete who also has a lot of power to his game. He had an impressive 2012 season and was one the Seminoles' best run-blockers. The 6-foot-5, 310-pounder is a former basketball player. That can be seen in his excellent feet and agility. He was a JUCO star and is originally from Manchester, England. Watson could require a little more development, but he has huge upside.
CBSSports.com (FIVE mock drafts)
- Matt Elam - SS - Florida State (predicted by Rob Rang)
- Analysis: The Packers saved money by releasing Charles Woodson but could miss his leadership and playmaking ability. These are two of the traits scouts like most about Elam, a highly physical defender with a knack for making big plays in big games.
- Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame (predicted by Dane Brugler)
- Analysis: Tight end isn't a primary need, but if a talent like Eifert is available, the Packers shouldn't pass on him. Jermichael Finley is entering the final year of his contract and could even be a draft-day deal option with Andrew Quarless and D.J. Williams on the Green Bay roster but better suited in backup roles.
- Tyler Eifert - TE - Notre Dame (predicted by Pat Kirwan)
- Analysis: Some believe Jermichael Finley's days in Green Bay are numbered. How about teaming Eifert up with Finley for a package similar to the one the Patriots run with Gronkowski and Hernandez?
- Sylvester Williams - DT - North Carolina (predicted by Pete Prisco)
- Analysis: They have to get better inside against the run.
- Damontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M (predicted by Clark Judge)
- Analysis: I can tell you why the Packers need to lock down the outside in two words: Colin Kaepernick.
NFL.com (compiled by Bucky Brooks)
- Eric Reid - FS - LSU
- Analysis: Reid's stock has been on the rise since he impressed coaches and scouts with his athleticism and movement skills at LSU's Pro Day a few weeks ago. GM Ted Thompson could nab a Pro Bowl-caliber safety with the potential to make an immediate impact in the middle of the secondary.
- Damontre Moore - DE - Texas A&M
- John Jenkins - DT - Georgia