Fantasy Rewind: Week 13
Week 13 in the NFL is now behind us, and chances are good that your last opportunity to make your league's post-season has now passed. And while different leagues have a different number of playoff spots, the average 12-team league has six to eight teams advancing with a chance at the championship trophy. So I hope you were able to move on for a shot at the title!
That being said, there were quite a few players this week that did their best to propel their fantasy owners to the playoffs - both superstars and sleepers. But before we dive into the deep, blue sea of the NFL, let's wade into the waters of the Green Bay Packers and their fantasy output this week.
Coming into Week 13, the big question on owners' minds was who New England cornerback Darrelle Revis would be covering - Jordy Nelson or Randall Cobb? That answer ended up being Nelson, and for the most part, Revis did a good job the Sports Illustrated cover boy to only two catches for 53 yards on the day. Unfortunately for Revis, however, one of those catches was a 45-yard touchdown with less than a minute remaining in the first half, which gave Nelson 11.3 fantasy points on the day.
Nelson, meanwhile, is gathering some national acclaim for his work on the football field. Here's a breakdown from former Packers linebacker Brady Poppinga on why Nelson belongs in the conversation for best wide receiver in the game.
Randall Cobb, meanwhile, has now failed to catch a touchdown pass in three straight games, but still managed to put up an okay 9.3 fantasy points this week on seven catches (85 yards) and two rushing attempts (8 yards).
However, the top-scoring wide receiver for the Packers was Davante Adams. The young rookie caught six passes for 121 yards on the day, and would have an even higher fantasy output if he would have held on to an easy touchdown pass from Aaron Rodgers late in the game.
Speaking of #12, he torched the Patriots for 368 yards through the air for 2 touchdowns - good enough for 24.8 fantasy points on the day. Those numbers placed him as the seventh-highest scoring quarterback in Week 13. Rodgers also rushed five times for 22 yards, even after getting his hand stepped on at the end of a nice scamper early in the game.
The Packers D/ST didn't score big fantasy points this week after looking strong since Week 10 (4.6 in ESPN standard leagues), but came up big when it mattered most, sacking Tom Brady on a third down on the Patriots last drive. They also managed to keep one of the top-scoring offenses in the NFL to 21 points.
Here are some of the top scorers from around the NFL in Week 13:
- Ryan Fitzpatrick, Houston - 358 yards & 6 TDs for 39.2 fantasy points
- Andrew Luck, Indianapolis - 370 yards & 5 TDs for 32.8 fantasy points
- Drew Brees, New Orleans - 257 yards & 5 TDs for 30.2 fantasy points
- Tre Mason, St. Louis - 117 rushing yards & 3 total TDs for 34.4 fantasy points
- Le'Veon Bell, Pittsburgh - 95 rushing yards, 159 receiving yards & 1 TD for 31.4 fantasy points
- C.J. Anderson, Denver - 168 rushing yards, 1 receiving TD for 24.5 fantasy points
- DeAndre Hopkins, Houston - 238 yards & 2 TDs for 35.8 fantasy points
- Calvin Johnson, Detroit - 146 yards & 2 TDs for 26.6 fantasy points
- Donte Moncrief, Indianapolis - 134 yards & 2 TDs for 26 fantasy points
- Coby Fleener, Indianapolis - 127 yards & 2 TDs for 24.7 fantasy points
- Jordan Reed, Washington - 123 receiving yards for 12.3 fantasy points
- St. Louis Rams - 3 INTs, 2 Fumble Recoveries & 1 TD for 30.9 fantasy points
- Minnesota Vikings - INT, 4 sacks & 2 TDs for 27.4 fantasy points
- Jacksonville Jaguars - 3 fumble recoveries, 4 sacks & 2 TDs for 26.3 fantasy points