Compensatory Draft Picks for Ted Thompson's Packers
While the Packers watched average wide receivers race past their young and often injured cornerbacks, Casey Hayward was leading the league in interceptions after leaving Green Bay in free agency.
At the time of Hayward's departure, the Packers were confident in their depth and did not offer the former second-round pick a contract because of concerns about his speed and tackling.
No matter, the past is the past. The fifth-round compensatory selection the Packers received for losing Hayward in free agency will give general manager Ted Thompson another crack at finding a late round diamond in the rough.
The Packers front office has had a knack over the years of letting players leave in free agency at just the right time. Former Packers like guard Marco Rivera, Ahman Green and Aaron Kampman were all mourned when they left Green Bay, but all failed to live up to the contracts they signed with new teams.
To give you an example of just how powerful compensatory free agents can be, Kampman’s departure to Jacksonville still impacts the Packers today:
Ted Thompson’s compensatory pick selections with the Packers
Here’s the history of every compensatory pick awarded to Green Bay under Thompson’s rule:
- G Marco Rivera leaves in 2005, G/T Tony Moll drafted in 2006
- S Bhawoh Jue leaves in 2005, DL Dave Tollefson drafted in 2006
- QB Craig Nall leaves in 2006, LS Clark Harris drafted in 2007
- RB Ahman Green leaves in 2007, G Josh Sitton drafted in 2008
- DT Colin Cole leaves in 2009, T Marshall Newhouse drafted in 2010
- DE/OLB Aaron Kampman leaves in 2010, CB Davon House drafted in 2011
- DE Cullen Jenkins leaves in 2011, DT Mike Daniels drafted in 2012
- G Daryn Colledge leaves in 2011, S Jerron McMillian drafted in 2012
- C Scott Wells leaves in 2012, DT Josh Boyd drafted in 2013
- WR Greg Jennings leaves in 2013, TE Richard Rodgers drafted in 2014
- OLB Erik Walden leaves in 2013, WR Jared Abbrederis drafted in 2014
- C Evan Dietrich-Smith leaves in 2014, DL Christian Ringo drafted in 2015
- WR James Jones leaves in 2014, TE Kennard Backman drafted in 2015
- CB Davon House leaves in 2015, LB Blake Martinez drafted in 2016
- CB Tramon Williams leaves in 2015, DL Dean Lowry drafted in 2016
The five bolded selections represent the Packers’ best hits in compensatory selections over Thompson’s tenure. Josh Sitton and Mike Daniels both significantly contributed to Green Bay’s recent success, while Rodgers, Martinez and Lowry each have promising futures.