Packers Select RB Aaron Jones in Fifth Round
The Packers added another body to the mix at running back in the fifth round, picking Aaron Jones of UTEP with the 182nd overall pick.
Jones is UTEP’s all-time leading rusher, and he piles up yards despite standing just over 5-9.
What are Aaron Jones’ strengths?
- Undeniably productive in college, even at a smaller school: accumulated more than 4,700 all-purpose yards and 40 touchdowns
- Good game speed
- Special teams contributor, albeit not as a kick returner
- Strong stiff arm
What are Aaron Jones’ weaknesses?
- A bit undersized at 5-9, 208
- Had a DWI arrest while at UTEP
- Poor timed speed
- Already a high mileage back
How does Aaron Jones fit in Green Bay?
Jones has been described as Brandon Jackson 2.0 by some NFL writers, which is great news for Jones. Jackson did everything the Packers ask for from their backs at a high level, and if Jones has a similarly well rounded game, he should be a great fit in Green Bay.
However, Jones is now coming into a crowded backfield, and if he doesn’t play faster than his timed speed, he could be on the outside looking in.